Folsom Garden Club
2023 Scholarship Senior High School Program
For Academic Years 2023-2024
The Folsom Garden Club is offering two $250 scholarships for the 2023-2024 academic year: one for a Folsom High School senior and one for a Vista del Lago High School senior (this is a Pilot year for this level).
Any Senior from Folsom High School or Vista Del Lago entering either: College, University or Junior College must meet the criteria stated on the package as posted by April 15, 2023
1. Applicant must be a California resident and one of the following:
a. A resident (permanent home address) of the City of Folsom or be an approved transfer student at Folsom High School or Vista del Lago High School.
2. Applicant must have at least a 3.0 GPA (on a 4.0 scale) in order to apply.
3. Applicant must be a student at Folsom High School or Vista del Lago High School who will be entering their freshmen year at an accredited college or university in the fall of 2023.
4. Applicant must be majoring in: Horticulture, Floriculture, Landscape Design, Botany, Forestry, Agronomy, Conservation, Plant Pathology, Environmental Concerns and/or other closely related subjects.
Application Package: All of the following required materials must be typed or computer generated except for the Application Form which can be typed, computer generated or printed legibly with black ink. The evaluation weight which will be given to each of the application elements is noted in parentheses ( ). Failure to meet all application requirements will result in disqualification. Please do not staple pages together.
1) Application Form – Application Form must be complete and signed by applicant, parent/guardian (if applicable) and school official recommender.
2) Academic Record (40%) – An Official Transcript (not a photocopy) of all coursework is required.
3) Applicant’s Personal Statement – Discuss goals, background, personal commitment to career choice (30%) and financial need (10%). Limited to two typed or computer generated pages.
4) List of Extra-Curricular Activities/Work Experience (15%) – This information should be typed or computer generated on a separate page and not included in the body of applicant’s letter.
Renewal: Scholarships may be considered for renewal on a yearly basis provided the student reapplies, remains in a Horticulture related field of study, is in good academic standing, and continues to meet the FGC Scholarship criteria. Disbursement of Scholarship Funds: Successful applicants will be notified on or about May 15, 2023. Scholarship winners will be invited as guests to a luncheon meeting of the Folsom Garden Club and will receive a certificate. Scholarship checks will be sent to the registrar of the college or university where the student is enrolled, to be deposited in the student’s account. Funds are to be disbursed to scholarship recipients after successful completion of 30 days of enrollment beginning in the Fall 2022 semester. Scholarship funds shall be used for tuition, books, or other school related expenses. If the scholarship winner changes to a major outside of qualifying subjects as listed above, or withdraws from school for any reason, the balance of the scholarship grant funds must be returned to the Folsom Garden Club Treasurer.
Deadline: The complete Application Package including Application Form, Official Transcripts, Applicant’s Letter, List of Activities, and photo must be sent in one packet to the Folsom Garden Club’s Scholarship Chair and postmarked no later than April 15, 2023 to:
Folsom Garden Club Scholarship Chairman
Mary Lou Phelps
P.O. Box 1681
Folsom, CA 95763
Application: Application Forms are available on the Folsom Garden Club website, www.folsomgarden.org.